- WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?:
- They count on weakness of resolve in the opposition.
- They operate with the siege mentality (keep on bombing, no matter the cost, and the opposition will give in).
- They are contemptuous not only of democratic (progressive; Rooseveltian) policy, but of the opinions of ordinary people.
- They know best; after all, they’re rich and successful and Democrats work for them.
- God (according to John Wesley, etc.) has given them wealth and power, therefore, they are right, no question about it.
- They are America’s royalty, even though America supposedly has no royalty.
- They allow no doubt (though some of them have it). It’s a classic case of circular reasoning, reinforced, of course, by each other (which is known in adolescent circles as a “circle jerk.”)
- Even when they are in the minority, they act as if (1) they are in the majority, or (2) majority/minority doesn’t matter.
- They see themselves as granite, even though they may be sinking in quicksand.
- The very fact that “health reform is Mr. Obama’s signature domestic achievement,” is reason enough to prevent it from happening, even if the majority of Americans want it.
- They will attack their own from further on the right rather than allow their own members to be soft on anything toward the center of right.
(Read this again; it’ll make sense. Sort of stream of ‘un’consciousness; think Snopes thinking in Faulkner. Or, just let it ride and move on.)
AND SOME OTHER RELEVANT THOUGHTS:
- When did American politics become dysfunctional? (I think somewhere around 1800.)
- We’ve been fortunate to survive, possibly by the grace of the Great Spirit.
- Our government, all branches and persuasions of it, has ridden itself into a box canyon. Like watching one of those old Westerns, we’ll certainly see what happens. And please clean up around your seat.
- Ask yourself this question: Are “Democracy” and “Capitalism” incompatible? See where it takes you. (I’m asking you to think, not simply to react as you’re used to.)